Our journey to Utah started with one stuffed PT Cruiser and a mostly happy baby in the back seat. The first hour dragged forever and I thought, "we're in for it." But then we started a book on CD and before you knew it Lydia fell asleep which I always gratefully welcome when we're in the car. I can only turn around in my seat and offer new treats, toys, and songs until I've got a rash on my elbow and a crick in my neck. She fared well for the 13 hour drive. When we arrived at Grandma Kimber's, she wore her journey on her shirt as you can see below.
We spent Christmas Eve and had our first round of Christmas morning with the Kimber's. Lydia loved the music table that Santa brought her. It really is a great toy, she still plays with it for a long time, dances, and today, even started lifting her leg along with the little tunes.
This picture below is my absolute favorite of the entire trip. You can see the mountains behind her and I think it is just perfect.

Coming home, Lydia was exhausted. We stopped at Arby's for dinner and both Chad and I commented that Lydia looked homeless with her dirty face and clothes and her animal-cracker-goo hair. Oh well. We lucked out with decent roads and a really fun trip. Now that the pictures are out of the way, here are some of the things that were highlights for me:
1. Of course, our traditional Christmas Eve and Christmas Day activities. Lydia was so much more fun this year, and I know it will only get better as she understands more and more what Christmas is all about.
2. Making so much food for my family's New Year's Eve party that I honestly spent four or five hours in my mom's kitchen. But when it was time, I laid out a yummy spread that kept my dad giving me compliments for days.
3. Bowling with Chad's family on New Year's day. I watched my father-in-law bowl, and I realized that two years ago, he couldn't have bowled without a lot of discomfort and soreness due to his arthritis. He got new knees last fall and he approached the bowling lane, ball in hand, just like a pro.
4. Playing with Lydia in the snow. That girl loves the outdoors!
5. Last, but definitely not least, playing Rockband with my mom. We made her sing and you should have seen her belting out the lyrics to some Metallica song all the while saying how stupid the lyrics were. Unless you've played Wii games or Rockband with my mom, you will never comprehend the complete and utter hilarity that only my mother can produce. We were all holding our guts with tears of laughter gushing from our eyes. Love you, Mom!
Over all it was an awesome Christmas, much better than last year even and I'm glad we made it.
4 comments:
It was good to see you guys again. I still feel sad I missed the sledding. Maybe next year Josi won't push Lydia around and they will be friends!
I'm sad I missed you guys while you were here. Lydia is so cute! I love the pics of her in the snow. I really hope you guys move back to Utah soon!
The pictures of Lydia are priceless! So cute! I love the close up smile and the mountain one. But I think the one in the hat in the car with the dirty onesie is so great! We always welcome the car nap too! Glad you had fun!
Brenna--I am 42 and am still totally a sledding mama. A screaming sledding mama, in fact. And it doesn't even take much snow to get me that way!
I can't believe how big Lydia is, and she is just as cute as ever!
Post a Comment