Now, it is almost forsaken and in a few more generations may not exist. Even today you drive along and see two-story abandoned homes that once were beautiful and family-filled and now they sit broken and mice-ridden.
The people who remain are everything but faint-hearted. The nearest city is Tremonton, UT—at least an hour and a half drive. That is where Grouse Creekers have to go often to visit the dentist and shop for groceries. They literally live in the middle of nowhere—and they love it. Where else can you go to church and find the ward directory attached to the building’s telephone? Everyone who lives there is included—and all names and phone numbers fit on one page. It’s a place where you can still leave your cars and doors unlocked and people still check on their neighbors just to make sure everything is okay.
And that is where we go at least twice a year so my husband can round up these:
And do this:
(And he LOVES it) While the kids and I do this:
And we get pictures like this:
So though most of you have never heard of Grouse Creek and will never get the pleasure or “working the cows” there, I’m glad it is part of us and our family.
8 comments:
Sounds perfect. Reminds of where my grandparents use to live in Idaho. Small town of 200. Wide open spaces, fresh air and everyone waves to everyone. Love it!
Not a huge fan of the smell of burning cow hide, though...
How fun! I bet that the kids love to see all the cows! Yeeha!
I love the pictures and am serious about a trip out there with you guys sometime. Maybe we could hike a little in the Grouse Creek Mountains...
Teared me up. I love that place...I may just be pregnancy emotional though. It is a good heritage to remember.
How fun is that!?
I have enjoyed my time out there in Grouse Creek, but I'll never forget the cream-cheese, bologna, and ketchup sandwiches ... (just ask Chad about it).
Looks like everyone had a great time! Especially Chad...I love it when they get back to doing something they really love and the kids get to see it. Makes for some great family memories! And thanks for the story of the shopping trip, sounds all to familiar....
I love it! I miss going out there. I love how you described everything...
Post a Comment