I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. No. Seriously grumpy all. day. long. What makes us start out days like that, I wonder? Because I'm pretty sure I was grumpy even before Lydia got crayon on my couch and before Russell spilled my $15 night cream all over the carpet in the hallway. Yes, I was ornery even before Russell wouldn't take his nap and grumpy still even after mine.
Then it was time for dinner. Spaghetti and meatballs. Luckily the meatballs were frozen leftovers from awhile ago so all I really had to do was cook some noodles and warm up the meat and sauce. Wonderful. And then I had to pick a side. We're completely out of fresh vegetables right now so I decided we would have to have frozen peas. My kids like peas; I, however, not so much. And in my current state of mind I thought, "I'm not going to even eat these dang peas!"
Unfortunately, I remembered something our Sunday school teacher had said in class a few weeks ago. The lesson was on the word of wisdom and he was talking about a healthful diet. He said he always had to eat his vegetables growing up even under force. Most of the time he didn't mind them except when he had to eat peas. To his surprise, he recently found out that his mother also detests peas. He couldn't believe it. He'd seen her eat thousands of peas over the years and he never once knew she was eating them to be an example to her children, not because she liked peas.
As I pondered this, I felt a little guilty. Funny that I had been not-nice-at-all to my children all day long and the thing that made me feel guilty was the thought of making them eat their peas while I ate none. "I'm still not eating any." I thought.
We sat down to dinner and I found that I had robotically scooped peas onto my plate without really thinking about it.
I ate them. But only a few.
1 comment:
Ha! I love the idea that sometimes the only thing we do right all day long is eat a few peas. :)
You are hilarious, my friend!
Post a Comment