Day one we drove to Mesquite later at night and they just watched a movie and then fell asleep. Once we got to the house though, they went a little nuts. I forgot how excited kids get when they find a new place that is kind of "theirs." It took hours for them to calm down. I think they finally fell asleep at 2 a.m. I wasn't too worried though because I knew they could sleep in the car the next day.
Day two we finished up the rest of our drive. We had to stop at Hoover Dam though and see that new bridge. It is phenomenal! We were hiking in 100 degree weather at like ten a.m., but it was worth it.
This picture doesn't do justice to how red the kids' faces were. It was HOT!
We arrived in Phoenix later that night and got to visit with our family finally. Of course, one of the first things we did was go to the grocery store and buy Blue Bell ice cream. Oh my! Seriously one of the highlights of my trip. We should all sign a petition and get that stuff shipped to Utah! It would be worth the hassle. Trust. Me.
We spent the rest of the weekend playing and eating and preparing for the baby blessing which was the main reason for our trip. We went to the Antique Mall, go carting, swimming, out to eat, and swam some more. It is incredibly hot there. Being outside feels like you are inside a hot car on a really hot day. So stuffy and hot you can hardly breathe. Yuck! The kids loved being in a hotel. I thought they would give me a hard time, but they slept like rocks and it was AWESOME! Maybe vacation with children is possible after all!
Lydia found a copy of the Bible in the drawer and laid down to "read her scriptures". Very cute.On Monday we headed for Vegas to spend the night. The drive there was so easy we were wishing we had booked rooms in St. George or something to take advantage of the kids being so good. But we had already booked a room in Sin City so we stayed there anyway. I must say we got a sweet deal. Our room was less than $40 and it was huge! It had a couch and chair and a dining area with a full kitchenette and table, two beds, and a huge bathroom with a stand up shower and a tub. Loved it!
We drove the strip for a bit, not really knowing where we were going. We finally parked at the Bellagio and watched their water show. Then we started walking. And we walked and walked and walked. Lydia was a trooper since we didn't have stroller for her. We finally made it to M&M World which is the only place I could think of that I thought the kids would enjoy. We saw the race car and watched the free 3D movie and then of course, got stuck spending $20 on specially colored candies and a souvenir for the kids. But it was worth it. We made sure we found the tram to get back to our car. A fun night.
The next day was a long 7 hour drive to get ourselves home. Russell was done with the car by then, but they still did amazingly well. We stopped once at a gas station to let them run around and then stopped 20 minutes from home to get dinner.
Now we just need more money so we can go on vacation again!
2 comments:
How fun!! I'm happy it was such a successful trip and the kids were so good. I remember family vacations as always being so fun, but when I talk to my mom she always has a different take on how the experience was. :)
What a fun trip! Makes me want to go on vacation :)
Post a Comment