Chad and I have had it in the works for a long time to go to California for our fifth anniversary. I actually figured it out almost two years ago. I took into account all aspects of family planning before deciding the kids would be old enough to leave for a week since nursing and all other binding activities would not be a part of our lives. Yea! We packed up, dropped the kids off at my wonderful mother-in-law's house and away we went. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to leave the kids. It does help that I know they were in the best of hands.
As we were getting ready for our plane to take off and as I people-watched and wondered what each person's story was, I thought: I'm a mother. And I wonder if I look like a mother, if these people whom I am watching know that I'm a mother. And I thought about how becoming a mother is such a life-altering happening. How I'll forever be tied to those two little people. Much like Adam and Even becoming mortal--something changing in their blood. The point was further driven home to me when my mother texted later that night to make sure that her grown and married daughter had made it safely to California. Forever tied.
We started our vacation with the rumbles of the beach and the enormous board walk of Santa Monica pier under our feet. I loved watching the vendors as they sold their various commodities along the way. It reminded me of Brazil and how the people there make anything they think will bring a buck.
Our second day was also filled with noise and bustle at Knott's Berry Farm. We arrived with about ten middle school buses and after standing in line with them for thirty minutes at the first roller coaster, I was sure I was going to kill them all. Luckily we lost the crowds after that and blissfully walked right onto every roller coaster until after lunch time.
I can say a few things about L.A. It really is pretty there. The rolling mountains covered with foliage of some type or another eventually smoothing out into the beaches and the ocean. And the weather! Oh, what wonderful weather. BUT the traffic! The traffic would be enough to relocate me if I lived there. It is truly terrible.
Just the opposite of the noise and hustle of traffic and theme parks, we visited the L.A. temple in such tranquility. I LOVED that temple. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was not prepared for the gigantic rooms and the beautiful murals. It rivaled the inside of the Salt Lake Temple and actually one of the workers said that the session rooms of the L.A. temple are actually larger. I loved it and was so grateful that there existed a place like that amid such madness. (And they had really cool trees on the temple grounds).
We spent the rest of our time eating and driving, visiting museums and Hollywood (which wasn't worth the drive), going to a movie or eating whenever we wanted. It was so nice. And I loved getting dessert twice a day. In the end, I was anxious to see my babies. But they did well without us and that encourages me to think that maybe Chad and I could get away again sometime.
6 comments:
Your trip sounds like so much fun, I'm glad you got to go!
Brian and I have gotten away a couple of times, and it always seems to leave us refreshed and ready to tackle our wonderfully busy life again. :) Truthfully, the kids seem to really enjoy the time with their grandparents/friends almost as much as Brian and I enjoy our time away...so it works out nicely!
I'm glad you guys had the chance to go. I bet it was wonderful to be on your own clock...eat whenever you wanted to, sleep whenever you wanted to...
I hope your Christmas was wonderful!
Brenna--how awesome that you took a trip! I wish I had been smart enough to do it that soon--our first real getaway was our 10th anniversary. I love your picture of the LA temple and hearing about it because my parents were married there. I've never been in it so I really no nothing!
WOW...you have been busy. Looks like so much fun. Your kids are so cute.
Hi Kimber Crew! Just wanted to let you know that you won the giveaway on The Sisters Cafe! Email me at mindysterzer@msn.com to give me your address so I can have these recipe books sent off to you. You are going to LOVE them!
PS your family is adorable, and I am seriously impressed with your cake making abilities. That elephant is awesome! And the dump truck cake is so cute, too.
So fun! Your kids are so cute!
Post a Comment